A baby girl born with intestines exposed outside her abdomen was saved after an emergency surgery at Khanh Hoa Province’s General Hospital on Saturday.
Diagnosed with gastroschisis (or paraomphalocele), a congenital defect which exposes a patient’s intestines through the anterior abdominal wall, the baby was admitted from another hospital where she was born two hours earlier.
Cao Viet Dung, deputy head of Khanh Hoa General Hospital, said the baby’s large and small intestines, gall bladder and oviduct were exposed through an opening which was about 4 centimeters long.
After the one-hour operation, the doctors managed to place all of the internal organs back inside her abdomen.
Doctor Dung said one in every 2,000 to 5,000 babies are born with this defect and it is more commonly found in girls than boys.
The baby’s recovery is being closely monitored.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Private hospitals struggle to stay open
» Tourists can go kayaking again in Ha Long Bay this May
» Workplace by Facebook changes how enterprises communicate
Latest Category Posts
- Da Lat closes hotels, evacuates residents due to houses sinking
- Only 14 of 1,516 old buildings in Hanoi renovated
- Vietnam runs for UNESCO Director-General position
- Eight get death for smuggling heroin
- Vietnam presents Friendship Medal to former Argentinean Ambassador
- Tuyen Quang seeks coordination to address Argentinean death
- Vietnam works to create safe, healthy environment for children
- PM’s visits to Laos, Cambodia help foster bilateral ties
- RoK National Assembly Speaker leaves HCM City, wraps up visit
- Vietnam to actively contribute to promoting ASEAN connectivity
Random Category Picks
- Czech Republic a prioritised partner of Vietnam
- Body of the Nghinh Ông incident's last victim found
- Bus operators protest against bus station transfer
- Vietnamese fishermen saved in Gulf of Thailand
- Vietnam’s role in global efforts towards chemical weapons-free world
- Sidewalk hooks trap foreign visitor in downtown Saigon
Popular Category Posts
- Buying illicit ‘self-defense’ weapons is child’s play in Ho Chi Minh City
- HCM City leader vows support for Fulbright University project
- Vietnam asks for quickly finding culprit in death of Vietnamese girl in Japan
- Hanoi shares administrative reform experience with Vientiane
- Việt Nam urges Japan to solve alleged child murder
- City to connect with 7 localities
- WB reports on substandard abattoirs
- HCM City, Lao capital step up cooperation
- World Bank releases report on food safety in Vietnam
- Mekong Delta land subsidence causes explained
- WIPO Director General vows intellectual property support in VN
- Singaporean PM meets Hanoi, Da Nang officials
- 40 villas built without permit in Da Nang
- Prime Ministers of Vietnam, Singapore look to foster strategic trust
- Food security at risk due to climate change
- Increasing subsidence threatens farmers’ livelihood in Mekong Delta
- VN asks for quickly finding culprit in death of Vietnamese girl in Japan
- HN urban railway told to start operation in 2018
- Vietnam boosts external relations with Russia
- PM lauds Quảng Nam’s growth record